Raksha Siksha Bandhan (Old Festival Customs that Need to be Revised)

I love my brothers, but I don't feel comfortable falsely claiming I'm a weak woman, and today I'm going to tie this thread on your wrist as a token of my trust, and you are to promise to protect me from all the dangers, and downfalls, and disappointments in life.
No. I'm going to protect my own darn self, and you too if need be.
                       Moreover, you are my *younger* brother. Tell me who picked on you, and I'm going to beat the stuffing out of them. 

Hark now! My *baby* brother is going to protect me!!?? That's absurd.
And I've no interest in propagating this deeply sexist, and patriarchal *festival*. No.
                By all means, wear new, pretty clothes, eat yummy sweets, hang out with your sibling, play, have fun. But stop saying men are to protect women.
Any sibling of either sex can, will, and should protect the others/other one.

 Raksha Bandhan has unfortunately, always been about propagating sexism,
 and unjust gender constructs. There's a lot of decoding that, we as a nation, 
need. 

If you argue that it's just about being cute, and having harmless fun; why not 


make the kids tie rakhis to each other? 




When you tell a little girl that she needs to tie a rakhi to her brother, she's going

question you, ask you why, and you'll tell her about this protection nonsense, 

thus deeply embedding a damaging gender stereotype in her psyche. The

stereotype of 'damsel in distress'is reinforced. And the boy child is also forcibly

 pushed into embracing the machismo persona, and a role is thrust upon him,

 which he carries the weight and aggression of, subconsciously, if not overtly.



These psychological effects are brushed aside with a careless attitude of 'oh 
lighten up' 'it's just for fun' 'doesn't mean anything' . 

No! It holds meaning. A negative meaning. And the seed is carried forward and 
these disturbing prejudices keep getting passed on.

              Let us not make light of an issue that is important, and is a psych imprint that 
we can't afford to encourage.
The idea that women need 'security' and men need to take on 'responsibility',is 
exactly the kind of thing I don't want my (and the nation's) children  to think or 
feel.

                If you want equality, you must surely see that the rakhi festival is 
sexist. Let both genders tie colourful strings to each other, and promise to 
protect each other. Little kiddies will be so much more thrilled and excited. 


There is indeed nothing wrong with wanting both apples and oranges, but you can't make an apple out of an orange by stomping on it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Identity Death in a Burqa AKA STFU Miss Roy

It Hurts

TUESDAY WOES